a long few months: part one.


WARNING: Today and tomorrow’s posts are text heavy. No fancy-shmancy graphics to go along with these bad boys. Just a lot of story to update my situation.

In my prolonged absence from this blog I realize quite a bit has happened since the last two posts.

From July to September I became increasingly unhappy at my job. I was putting in the hours and doing decent work but it could not satisfy me creatively. I would go in the office every morning, take my chair and edit photos basically from starting time to quitting time. Every week was the same. I would edit photos, assemble them into a brochure and then do whatever changes come my way, all the while working on the next set of photos. We would produce an advertisement for the Chicago Tribune almost every week but those were always template based so it was never an outlet for creativity. On Mondays I would set up and send out an blast to subscribers in Miami, but usually on the previous Friday I did most of the work for setting up the content.

I wasn’t really involved with the management of the client and I feel like nobody cared. The client has some serious control issues but that’s just what it was. We all learned to deal with it but eventually all those feelings of being stifled build up.

Now, this job was not all bad. The people I worked with were good people. My bosses were nice, caring and offered us plenty of support in what we do. I could work from home if I was sick, I could basically make my own hours and nobody was ever really breathing down my neck because I am fairly quick worker. I just couldn’t take it anymore. Starting sometime in July, the job search was on.

I hit the usual places like the craigslist/resume sites/etc… but I was putting my cards down on a job with my former boss Todd. He recently grabbed an Art Director position with a company in the city and he was told he could hire another designer. As time ticked on through August I was doing the job search but feeling very frustrated. Never finding jobs I felt like a good fit for, never hearing back from companies, and just getting overwhelmed the by the full-time job that job searching can become. Anyway, I kept at Todd and I bugged him about getting an interview or SOMETHING. My foot was ready to be jammed in the door to the new job and my fuse was running short at my (then current) job. I was one snarky comment away from quitting just about every day. Eventually in the third week of August I got my shot. I met with Todd and his boss and all seemed well. I felt good about the meeting and I left knowing that I had a new job. Finally I felt that I would get to be doing what I considered to be more creative and fulfilling work. I went into my job  right after that meeting and told my boss that I was quitting in a week. I felt bad that I couldn’t give the two weeks but honestly I couldn’t do it. I needed a week to decompress in my own environment so I could go in recharged and ready at this new job.

More on this story tomorrow.

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: