the creation of flora.

My big project as of late has been this guitar. I said to Jason when we put up the paint booth that I was hoping we could paint a guitar in there first. We accomplished that. We even threw in a bunch of old hot-rodding tricks into this guitar too. We truly made Kustom Persuasion be “Kustom” for this guitar (he tells me the K is used to indicate an artistic flare to the work). Check out all the pics by clicking below.

The first thing we did was strip the guitar down to it’s bare wood. We had to get off all of the layers of spray paint that I caked on as well as the clear coat and paint that came from the factory way back in 2000. After taping up the pickups and electronic components we began the process of priming it for paint (I didn’t have a de-soldering iron to take the electrical apart at the time). I also had to clean off all the paint from my hardware pieces that go onto the guitar. I wanted to get that bright chrome polish back so I soaked the stuff in some bath of chemicals and it came right off with a quick pass of a plastic bristled brush. After that I used some chrome polish to bring out the shine.

Jason used a bit of primer from a spray can to cover the guitar. Simple and effective. After this step he sprayed a couple layers of metallic silver paint over the primer as our basecoat. I don’t have any photos of that stage for some reason though.

Next we laid down all the lace pieces. This was harder than it seemed. First we had to tape around the edges of those plastic pieces and then we could begin the lace work. The pickup guard and the back plate were kind of easy to tape around and then have the lace lay over but the back of the guitar was a different story altogether. He first laid out the stripe of silver 1/4″ thick. After that we laid the lace down and cut out a shape. Well, of course being our first time using lace like this we cut it a little small and we had a hell of a time getting it all secured down. We used 1/8″ tape to hold down the lace right on top of that 1/4″ line. That’s what made it so hard and frustrating. We couldn’t go over that initial line or else the whole paintjob would suffer. In the end we got it and we hung it up for paint.

Jason put a few coats of the clearcoat/color mixture on until we got to a point that the paint was starting to darken. He used the clear/color mixture so that the silver basecoat could still be visible underneath everything. It helps add a depth and luminosity to the guitar when completed.

When he determined it was dark enough we pulled off all the lace and began painting over it to give it even more depth and rich color. This makes everything have a very cool overall color too. The body got darker and darker while the areas that were covered by lace only got a light dusting of color and the silver underneath still shines through.

After we got the guitar to the desired color we then began the clearcoating process. I think Jason put on 3-4 layers of clearcoat. This will help protect the paint and give it a nice brilliant shine. After this dried we wet-sanded the guitar and polished it to showcase the bright colors that were painted, layer after layer. I then proceeded to reassemble all of the metal pieces onto it and string up the fretboard and it was ready to play.

Tags: , , , , ,

One Response to “the creation of flora.”

  1. New kustom painted guitar « Kustom Persuasion: Hot Rods // Collision // Customs Says:

    […] In-Progress shots: The Creation of Flora […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: